Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday 4 February 2010

Mounting a few engine bay components

The alternator was allways going to be a tight fit wherever I put it but the neates (and possibly the tightest) position is just under the throttle bodies. There is litterally a few mm of clearance so I had to design a sliding bracket for the belt tension adjustment as there was no way the alternator was going to be able to rotate like usual.



I had to buy a slightly smaller belt than the one I had already purchased but here it is fully tensioned. It's only using about 20% of it's full adjustment capability so there is plenty of head room to cater for any belt stretch

I've built an all in one bracket which holds the radiator, oil cooler, and Mocal remote oil filter. The radiator is from a Golf GTI, it has the inlet and outlet on the same side and does not have a filler cap. I'll be using the filler cap in the water rail I fitted to the side of the engine. This setup means that I don't require a header tank. The direction of flow of the remote oil filter left to right as seen in the picture from the front but to neatly plumb the pipes it would be nice if it went the other way so I may see about exchanging it. I want the oil to run from the engine, through the oil cooler, then through the filter, before returning to the engine. This means any damage to the lines or cooler resulting in debris in the system will have to go through the filter before damaging the engine.


You can just about see the clutch cable (it has a blue sleeve) in the last picture, one of my next jobs is to fabricate a bracket to convert the hydraulic clutch pedal to activate the cable - shouldn't be too difficult.

No comments: