Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday 1 March 2009

Now and Next

So this brings you all up to date on the progress. Today we removed the gearbox and welded up all the bits of the chassis that have been cut. We also started looking at the altenator and how to fit it - another custome bracket coming up. This week I hope to get the flywheel lightened and a thrust release bearing for the clutch. I've decided to stick with the cable clutch that is standard on the Type 9 gearbox so later on i'll have the fun and games of converting the Spitfire pedal.

I've ordered and received the prop shaft which looks great (photos soon I promise) and a flange plate for the exhaust. This plate will be bolted to the engine and the pipes welded to it.

I've also got the pulleys I need for the altenator (although some machining is needed to fit it) and the water pump so the three way pulley and belt system (crank, water pump, and altenator) will be fitted soon.

I bought a swirl pot ages ago from a company called SM Engineering and I'm going to get them to build me an alloy fuel tank. I want to make it slightly smaller on the drivers side so I can accomodate the swirl pot and pumps etc next to it. I know some people fit these in the bottom of the boot which does look nice but I want this car to be practical so I intend to keep as much boot space as possible.

My number one aim is to turn the key and hear those throttle bodies purr (or shout) as soon as possible so everything I'm doing and thinking about at the moment is aimed at this. Here is a list of what needs to be done and in the rough order:
  1. Buy thrust release bearing and fit flywheel, clutch, gearbox, and prop shaft.
  2. Body can then be fitted - this will initially be done without spraying it so unless I change my mind, look out for a patchy white and yellow (and surface rust) coloured Zetec Spitfire on this years 10CR!
  3. Order fuel tank - turnaround should be a few days I am told.
  4. Order fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, pressure guage, low pressure pump, and pipes and fit this all when it arrives.
  5. Water system: I'm currently looking at what radiator to use. I'm leaning towards a Pug 205 radiator as both the inlet and outlet are on the same side. With the water rail from raceline (already fitted) I can use the radiator without a header tank so this setup will be next on the list.
  6. Electrics will be next, ECU, ignition etc.

At this point I will hopefully be able to fire up the car. I know the above list is not all of it but it shows the basic direction I'm going in.

Check back here soon for more updates.

1 comment:

Domerie said...

Hi Paul- I am extremely impressed with your project! I am also studying the possibility of attempting a similar conversion. I have recently purchased a 74 Spit in pretty fair condition that I plan to drive as is for the summer and start my conversion next fall. I have a Zetec in the garage and plan to mate it to a type 9 as you have. Hopefully I can have this done before I start to chop. I hope you will be agreeable to answer some questions as they arise. Thanks for keeping the blog. It gives me the confidence that I can do it too. Dom B. USA